Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Messenger

She queried “Why?” with furrowed brow.
“Why did Jesus have to suffer and die?
He could have just told everyone His story.
I’d still believe Him,
‘Cause I know Jesus wouldn’t lie.”

“He could have performed more miracles.
Enough to convince everyone He was God.
Why did my Savior have to be crucified?
He was perfect,
How could anyone believe He was a fraud?”

The emotion of her question set me back.
I’d taught the reasons why time after time.
I knew it wasn’t easy for the mind to comprehend.
Murder is a sin,
To crucify an innocent man had to be a crime.

“It was all part of God’s perfect plan, you see.
For centuries the prophets predicted this event.
I know it was cruel, but it had to be done.
The blood of Jesus,
This was the fulfillment of God’s new covenant.”

“What the people did was wrong, very wrong.
But think about the outcome of it all.
Jesus is waiting for you beside His Father God,
He’s still alive,
And if you listen close, you can hear His call.”

Her expression changed; then suddenly she smiled.
“I know He’s alive, He lives inside my heart.
I also know why He had to die that way.
You’ve taught me well,
Jesus will be happy; you’ve done your part.”

Then, without warning, she gave me a hug.
How could I think she hadn’t understood?
After all, I’m just a messenger for Him.
The truth be known,
Only God could teach that good.

© 2014 Earl Parsons
(Modified for PAD challenge from a 2003 poem)

No comments: